Children fully immunised by eight months
HQMNZ ID: HQM22.214.171.1248
- 1 Outcome
- 2 Measure
- 3 Type
- 4 Relationship(s) to other frameworks
- 5 Rationale
- 6 Eligible population
- 7 Measure status
- 8 National target
- 9 Local target
- 10 Data Sources
- 11 Data extracted from data sources
- 12 Data availability
- 13 Measure calculation process
- 14 Relationship(s) to other measures
- 15 Measure development notes
Reduced morbidity from vaccine-sensitive conditions
Children aged eight months are fully immunised
Relationship(s) to other frameworks
This measure is drawn from the Immunisation Health Target http://nsfl.health.govt.nz/accountability/performance-and-monitoring/health-targets/201516-dhb-health-targets
Other frameworks which also use the same measure include the:
- Well Child Tamariki Ora (WCTO) Quality Improvement Framework (Quality Indicator 6): Ministry of Health. 2015. Indicators for the Well Child/Tamariki Ora Quality Improvement Framework – March 2015. Wellington: Ministry of Health Framework available at: www.health.govt.nz
- ’Ala Mo’ui: Pathways to Pacific Health and Wellbeing 2014–2018, plan
Children who receive the complete set of age-appropriate vaccinations are less likely to become ill from certain diseases.
This measure captures all age-appropriate immunisation milestones and emphasises the need for immunisation to be both full and delivered on time to achieve outcomes.
PHO-enrolled children who are enrolled on the National Immunisation Register (NIR) in the Childhood Immunisation (CI) Programme and who have reached the milestone age.
PHO-enrolled children who are enrolled on the NIR in the CI Programme and have completed the last dose of their age-appropriate vaccinations (as per the National Immunisation Schedule) on the day that they turn the Milestone Age (three-month reporting period)
PHO-enrolled children who are enrolled on the NIR in the CI Programme, who have reached the milestone age within the reporting period (three-month reporting period)
Milestones to be decided by Alliance
- NIR Data Mart
- PHO Enrolment Registers (data extracted into NIR Data Mart)
Data extracted from data sources
The result will be that provided by the NIR Data Mart report “NIR BC CI Overview – Milestone Ages PHO” for the three-month reporting period. See measure calculation process below.
Immunisation data is available through NIR Data Mart Milestone Ages Reports (contact your DHB NIR Coordinator for further information).
Measure calculation process
- Immunisation events are recorded in the NIR transactional database.
- Data from the NIR transaction database are extracted to NIR Data Mart on a weekly basis (see Measure development notes)
- An individual is included in a report based on their DHB of domicile that is assigned to their current address by an internal Geo Coding process.
- The Milestone Age calculation is based on the Individual’s Date of Birth as recorded in the NIR transactional database and stored against their Enrolment record in the NIR Data Mart.
- Each child is classified as fully immunised (or not) on the day they turn the relevant Milestone Age.
- Every eligible individual enrolled in the CI Programme is checked, and if they have completed the last dose of the specified vaccines for their age as per the National Immunisation Schedule when they reach the milestone age, they are deemed fully immunised.
- No other alternative or catch-up scheduled vaccinations are counted
- Exclusions: Overseas; Deceased; Inactive; On Hold
NIR Data Mart PHO reports:
- PHO enrolment is based on a quarterly update from the Ministry of Health’s central PHO Enrolment register, also known as the Age Sex Register (ASR).
- The information from the most recently published PHO Enrolment Register (updated quarterly) is used by the Weekly NIR Data Mart refresh process to identify an Individual’s PHO of Enrolment.
- Eligible Individuals are filtered by the PHO of Enrolment (as defined in the latest PHO Enrolment extract) in PHO level reports.
Any Individual unable to be matched to the latest copy of the PHO Enrolment register, held in the NIR Data Mart, will be excluded from PHO level reports.
Relationship(s) to other measures
Measure development notes
To ensure accuracy, all children enrolled with a PHO should also be enrolled on the NIR.
Weekly NIR Data Mart refresh process
Several extracts are taken from the NIR transactional database on a weekly basis (the “refresh”). The key extracts are: ‘The Vaccination Events’ which contains a full vaccination history for all individuals; and ‘The Enrolments’ which contains a full list of the current enrolments stored within the NIR. The extract occurs on a Saturday morning, including information loaded into the NIR up to and including the Friday immediately before. The latest information from these extracts is then loaded in to the NIR Data Mart, commencing Monday morning, which updates all the reference and source tables in the Data Mart that are used to generate the NIR CI Reports.
Template: System Level Measure Template