Pregnant women registered with a Lead Maternity Carer within first trimester of pregnancy
HQMNZ ID: HQM184.108.40.2063
- 1 Outcome
- 2 Measure
- 3 Type
- 4 Relationship(s) to other frameworks
- 5 Rationale
- 6 Eligible population
- 7 Measure status
- 8 National target
- 9 Local target
- 10 Data Sources
- 11 Data extracted from data sources
- 12 Data availability
- 13 Measure calculation process
- 14 Measure development notes
All maternity services are consistently delivered to the highest standard across New Zealand
Pregnant women registered with a Lead Maternity Carer (LMC) within the first trimester of pregnancy
Relationship(s) to other frameworks
Ministry of Health. 2015. New Zealand Maternity Clinical Indicators 2013. Wellington: Ministry of Health.
Early engagement with an LMC enables opportunities for screening, education and referral, and begins the primary maternity continuity of care relationship between a woman and her LMC.
Women registered with an LMC
Total number of women who register with an LMC in the first trimester of pregnancy.
Total number of women who register with an LMC
Milestones to be decided by Alliance
National Maternity Collection
Data extracted from data sources
National Maternity Collection (MAT), fact mat agg pregnancy
- Pregnancy key
- First LMC reg year
- LMC type at first LMC reg
- Trimester at first LMC reg
This measure is reported annually on the Ministry of Health website: www.moh.govt.nz (Search: NZ Maternity Clinical indicators)
Measure calculation process
1. Extract data from MAT for the variables stated.
2. Exclude all deliveries where First LMC reg year is null or LMC type at first LMC reg = ‘DHB’.
3. Numerator: Count all deliveries (pregnancy key) where trimester at first LMC reg = 1.
4. Denominator: count all deliveries (pregnancy key) .
5. Rate: numerator / denominator * 100.
Measure development notes
This measure supports national and local monitoring of the effectiveness of activities to improve timely registration with an LMC.
Template: System Level Measure Template